THANK YOU SPONSORS!!!
Please support the local businesses that support Matador Bands.
New Mexico School of Music
A note from our Director:
I wanted to take a moment to send out a bit of information pertaining to band camp next week in case you have not already seen it on our website, in the newsletter or in our remind texts. Even if your student isn’t marching, if you haven’t been to our parent booster website (sandiabandboosters.org) and signed up for our band newsletter and remind texts, I suggest you give it a look. There is plenty of information about our program there.
In the meantime, IF your student is in marching band please check out the following…
* Marching Band camp is required, and it will begin next week.
* Camp dates are July 18th through 22nd and July 25th through 29th with our parent performance taking place on the 30th.
* Camp times are 8:00 AM to 11:30 AM followed by lunch break and the afternoon session from 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM. All students should meet at the SHS Band Room (on the corner of Candelaria and Pennsylvania).
* All students should be sure to dress appropriately for outdoor rehearsals and be sure to bring sunscreen and a water bottle. Because we will be marching, open-toed shoes (especially flip-flops) should not be worn and will present safety issues.
* In case you are wondering about the times for camp, camp has been intentionally structured to keep students inside for the hottest parts of the day while still giving us the opportunity to practice outdoors when we can.
All students and parents are invited to the opening parent meeting on Saturday, July 30th! Even if your student isn’t marching and will not be performing that day, the meeting will still be very informative… and we’ll have free food there too.
I hope your summer has gone well, and (as always), please reach out with any questions.
Director of Bands – Sandia High School
NMMEA District VII Past President
Tyler North – Director of Bands
New Mexico Music Educators Association 2021 Educator of the Year
Tyler North is currently the Director of Bands at Sandia High School where he has taught in various capacities for almost 22 years. Presently, Mr. North serves as director of 2 concert ensembles, 1 jazz ensemble and a steel ensemble as well as directing the Matador marching and athletic bands. During his tenure at Sandia High School, these ensembles have consistently garnered first-division ratings at festivals around the state and country. In addition, the Sandia Wind Ensemble was named the NMAA Centennial Band in May of 2012.
Before beginning his career at SHS, Mr. North received his undergraduate and graduate degrees at Fort Hays State University (Hays, KS) and the University of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM) respectively. In pursuit of his post-secondary degrees, Mr. North has had the honor of working with many fine educators including Lyle Dilley, David Wilborn, Michael Robinson, Eric Rombach-Kendall and Bruce Dalby. Mr. North is also certified in both AP Music Theory and IB Music instruction.
Mr. North is an active member of the New Mexico Music Educators Association, serving as vice-president of bands for the Albuquerque district for 8 years and president for 5 years. Mr. North has also supported the future of music education by working with many student-directors over the years, many of whom have gone on to have wonderful careers of their own.
Mr. North currently resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico, with his wife, Jean (without whom, the last vestiges of his sanity would have slipped away years ago), his daughters Amara and Avalyn, and his yellow Labrador, Nana (without whom, his clothing would not have its customary coating of yellow dog hair).
Sandia High School Band Room
7801 Candelaria Rd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Need additional assistance? Please contact us:
Sandia Band Boosters
PO Box 21627
Albuquerque, NM 87154